Tuesday, March 20, 2012

One Hot Dish!

Lunch time is always a struggle.  Always.  I'm not a big fan of the sandwich (unless it's something dripping with fat and calories from a fast-food place).  I do love salads, particularly in the summer, but I get bored with them after awhile.  Dinner leftovers are a great thought, but I prefer to keep my lunches a little lighter.  Here is a little something I like to keep on hand when I need to give the boot to lunch break monotony.

Fiesta Soup

1 can fat free refried beans
1 can chicken broth
1-2 large cans of Swanson or Tyson chicken breast
1 can black beans
1 can corn kernals
1 cup salsa (I prefer mild, but I'm kind of a wuss)
1 packet taco seasoning (I like low sodium for this recipe)

Toss it all in a big stockpot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the refried beans have melted.  It's great topped with LF shredded cheese and sour cream, and served with baked tortilla chips.  You can even jazz it up with some diced tomatoes and scallions on top.

Once I make the pot, I dish it out into 6 small storage bowls and stick them in the freezer.  I will say this - it tends to reheat a little thick, so no harm in putting a little extra both in the recipe.  When I'm jonesing for NOT a salad, I grab a bowl and throw it in my lunch bag.  With all the fiber, it is crazy filling - one small bowl does the job.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header made with PS brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com